Captain's Corner is a family owned and operated restaurant. The restaurant has a nautical atmosphere and a beautiful lake view. A great place for families to dine.
* We fry in 0g. trans-fat oil*
The menu features several Mediterranean (Greek) items. Signature items include the Mediterranean Platter (appetizer) which includes spanakopita (spinach & cheese pastry), dolmathes (rice filled grape leaves), feta cheese, grilled pita bread, gyro meat, hummus and kolamata olives. Try the famous Nero's Gyro. The Captain's Club is a favorite, a classic club served on a fresh whole grain bread.
Dinners include a fantastic 10oz Sirloin, Lake Erie Perch, Sushi Grade Tuna, Grilled Chicken and Penne Pasta. Leave room for our specialty desserts; Big Chocolate Cake (enough for two), Key Lime Pie, Tall Plain Cheesecake or Traditional Bahklava.
Captain's Corner offers a full bar and features John Christ (of Avon Lake) as the House Wine.
Captain's Corner is located downtown at the corner of Lakeshore Dr. & Division St. directly west of Memorial Park. We are just a five minute walk from the Kelleys Island Ferry Boat and a 2 minute walk from the Jet Express Dock.
This building is the oldest retail establishment still standing on the island. It was built in 1850 by George Kelley to combine the functions of a store and post office having its original quarters on the Steam Boat Dock and that of his small home operated canteen. George, son of Irad Kelley, was then living in his uncle Datus' former home, and owned the large 55 acre tract west of Division Street on which this store was built. Here he sold groceries, dry goods, and hardware. The store soon became, in the words of an 1888 guide, "the headquarters for the whole island, rich and poor alike" where they could get their mail, send telegrams, and exchange tails. Because of its popularity as a meeting place, it became known as "The Lodge". Trade and barter were accepted the first 40 years. The Post Office was also located here until 1884, after being formally organized in 1854.
In 1854, William S. Webb exchanged his quarry for the store business with George Kelley retaining ownership of the building. Alfred S. Kelley. second son of Datus Kelley, soon bought out Webb and ran "The Lodge" for many years, being known to his cronies as "the fat man on the corner". He was helped by Jerry Dean, then Eratus Huntington, with the later gradually taking over management by 1880. Eratus in turn, took Titus Hamilton as partner, then in 1899 selling him his share of the business and leaving the island.
John Reinheimer succeeded Hamilton in 1904. By this time two other stores, The General Store, and Elfer's Store were competing for the island business with more modern facilities, and trade at the Lodge had fallen off. By the time the business was bought by Patrick Murphy and brother in 1915, stock was limited, and by 1927 when the building was acquired by Joseph Matso, it was put to another use.
Up until this time the building remained in the hands of the George Kelley family. Some time before 1874 a warehouse, boot and shoe repair store, and meat market were all built along Division Street by the Kelleys with a contiguous roof line from the north wall of the Lodge. However, the dates and order in which they were built is not known. The Lodge itself remained essentially the same for the first 30 years. Then in 1885, at the same time that August Scheadler was building his new general store on Division Street, Henry Kelley, son of George Kelley, made extensive repairs and improvements, adding a new front, raising the ceiling, installing new shelving, and enlarging the office. In 1890 Titus Hamilton next added a new arcaded porch to match that of the new Post Office building being erected next door..
When the building was purchased by Joseph Matso, he converted it to a confectionery, later using it as a real estate office, and briefly as a barber shop. Finally, after prohibition in 1932, he acquired a liquor license and operated it as a bar. Mr. Matso had come to the island in 1916 to work in the quarry, but receiving a severe leg injury there he bought this new source of livelihood. His son, Russell, operated the bar for some time before he sold it and it became the Water Street Cafe and the Winking Lizard. It has been sold again and is now operating as the Captain's Corner.
Source: "The National Register Inventory for Kelley Island" by Kevin and Betty Pape