The Hauser House is a 2-story, 4 bedroom home located on the S.W. corner of Division & Bookerman. The home is only a few minutes walk to both downtowns restaurants and nightlife or the state parks beaches and boat ramps. The home sits on a large, quiet, one half acre lot with a wooded quarry on the side and back of yard.
The Hauser House is a charming island home which was recently completely remodeled and is cheerfully decorated. The home is fully furnished with all the amenities for a week of comfort and enjoyment. This private home has 4 bedrooms with one bedroom on the first floor, 2 full baths, living room, dining room and a fully furnished kitchen to enjoy your island vacation.
Deposits are refundable if cancelled at least 30 days before arrival date. Deposits are non-refundable if cancelled less than 30 days in advance unless we are able to fill the vacancy.
This house was built by Frank Hauser, son of John and Catherine Hauser in 1885 on ¼ acre of land deeded him from his father’s 26 acre farm. The family homestead is located just to the south. As a young man Frank worked for the Kelley’s Island Wine Co. becoming its superintendent before 1900. He had married Ellen Doran in 1882, building this house shortly after. With the increased demands of his position as su- perintendent of the largest winery on the island, he built a second and larger home on fashionable Water Street. In 1904 he established his own winery, the Monarch, in the old Sweet Valley Wine Company plant.
After moving into his Water Street home, Mr. Hauser sold this house to John Betzenheimer in 1890, John had come to the island prior to 1880 when the Census data of that date shows him married with 2 children, working as a teamster and Living on Huntington Lane. During the years he lived in the present house he worked as a stationery fireman for a winery, but it is not known for which company. In 1899 he added a new kitchen wing to the rear. After his wife's death, in 1910, Mr. Betzenheimer rented the house to William Rosswurm, a machinist for the KIL&T Company's west quarry maintenance shop. In recent years the house has had a number of different owners who have used it for rental property.
According to a descendent, one of these was the family of William Lange. William was the son of John and Elizabeth Lange. During this period Elizabeth Lange's brother, builder John Koehler, is said to have added a second story to the house. Koehler had also remodeled the Cameron House across the street , and the Dodge House off the West Bay Road.
Source: "The National Register Inventory for Kelley Island" by Kevin and Betty Pape