The Village Pump is the regular watering hole for boaters and visitors alike. Specialties include Brandy Alexanders and lobster chowder, as well as Lake Erie perch deliciously prepared by Pump chefs. There is a full bar and dining service March through December! Catering is also available.
High Speed Internet Available Now!
The structure of this building has been altered as its function has changed through time. Beginning with the establishment of an appointed Post Master on Kelleys Island in 1854, the Post Office was originally housed in the corner store known as The Lodge. As long as the early postmasters (George Kelley, W. S. Webb, Alfred S. Ke11ey and Erastus Huntington) were associated with that establishment, the office remained in The Lodge. However, when Frederick Elfers was appointed Post Master in 1884, he added an annex to his Division Street store and moved the Post Office there. In 1890. with a change in management of this store to William Burger, the annex was used for Burger's undertaker's office, and the post office had to be relocated.
At that time this building was erected by Gustavus Fell to house the Post Office. A barber shop and, on the second floor, a social hall and doctor's office were also incorporated. Emmett Martin, son of Frederick and Julia Amanda Martin, was the barber. There was a succession of Post Masters until 1915 when Frank Reinheimer was appointed. He took over the management of the General Store from Burger in 1921 and again moved the Post Office into that store's annex where it remained until 1974.
The second function of this building began when Emmett Martin converted the former Post Office space to a confectionery. Later, with the increase in automobile traffic, he installed gas pumps and sold oil and some auto and farm equipment carts. In 1925 a small frame structure, said to have been a quarry building, was moved into the gap between the Martin building and the corner store and pool tables were set up there. After prohibition, Emmet's brother Charles set up a bar in the main section, converting the insert to an ice cream parlor. During the 1940's, this became the gathering place for the island younger generation. During Charles Martin's ownership the buildings were enlarged and a third story was added to the main section to be used for living quarters. This original building was expanded to the west, and an addition was made across the back of both buildings, providing kitchen space and added dining facilities. Under the present owner it became a combined bar and restaurant with pool tables once again set up in the insert.
Source: "The National Register Inventory for Kelley Island" by Kevin and Betty Pape